Colleagues. The Register of Qualified Genealogists (RQG) is pleased to announce the call for papers for a conference “Genealogy and Social History: Know your Ancestors” to be held at the Science and Industry Museum, Manchester, England on 25 September 2021.
The conference theme will be “Genealogy and Social History: Know your Ancestors”.
Topics of interest for presentations
- The use of social history to enhance the life stories of research subjects.
- Research projects demonstrating collaboration between family and social historians.
- Topics which aid the understanding of cultural development (e.g. migrations, social mobility, health & disease, crime, industrialisation).
- Using records of organisations for individual subject research and for general context (e.g. trade unions, charities, social movements, businesses, etc).
- The use of media resources (e.g. newspapers, directories, photo and film archives, use of diaries and oral histories).
- The use of genetic genealogy to investigate relationships.
- Projects which have been undertaken for academic genealogical programmes of study such as dissertations or other studies.
- Presentations based on published papers in peer-reviewed journals.
Guide for authors
- Format. Papers should be no more than 30 minutes in length to include questions.
- Word limit. Your abstract should be between 200 and 300 words in length.
- Deadline. The deadline to submit abstracts for paper presentation is Monday 14 June 2021.
- Submission. To submit your abstract, please do so here.
- Guidance. Guidance for authors of abstracts and papers can be found here.
- Terms and conditions of RQG accepting a paper. When you are accepting our offer to present a paper, you must agree to attend the conference and to agree to present the paper. If you have a paper accepted, you must purchase a ticket to attend the conference within one month of having your paper accepted by RQG.
- Deadline for abstract submission: Monday 14 June 2021
- Notification of acceptance: Friday 9 July 2021
The organising committee is made up of Directors and members of the Register of Qualified Genealogists including Carol Bannister, Clare Fowler, David Jack, Anne Powers, Alison Spring and Sylvia Valentine and Paul Wainwright.
We look forward to seeing you at the RQG conference in Manchester on 25 September 2021.
Chair, Register of Qualified Genealogists