Colleagues. The Register of Qualified Genealogists (RQG) is pleased to announce the call for papers for a conference ‘Sharing Memories: Uncovering your Family History through Storytelling’ to be held at The Royal Armouries, Armouries Drive, Leeds, LS10 1LT on Saturday 20 April 2024.
It is a pleasure to invite you to submit an abstract to give a presentation at the conference. Further information about the conference can be found at
Call for Papers – click here for guidelines and submissions
The conference theme will be
‘Sharing Memories: Uncovering your Family History through Storytelling’
Ticket sales available via Eventbrite:
Topics of interest for presentations
The focus of all topics should be telling a genealogical or family history story. Any of the following broad topic areas can be used as a platform for your talk.
- The use of social history to enhance the life stories of research subjects
- Research projects demonstrating collaboration between family and social historians
- Topics which aid the understanding of cultural development (e.g. migrations, social mobility, health & disease, crime, industrialisation)
- The use of media resources (e.g. newspapers, directories, photo and film archives, use of diaries and oral histories) to enhance storytelling
- The use of genetic genealogy in storytelling
- Projects which have been undertaken for academic genealogical programmes of study such as dissertations or other studies
- Presentations based on published papers in peer-reviewed journals
Guide for authors
- Format. The presentation will be hosted in-person, The session will be no more than 30 minutes in length with 15 minutes for questions or discussion.
- Word limit. Your abstract should be between 200 and 300 words in length.
- Deadline. The deadline to submit abstracts for presentation is Sunday 19 November 2023.
- Submission. To submit your abstract, please do so here.
- Guidance. Guidance for authors of abstracts and papers can be found here.
- Terms and conditions of RQG accepting a paper. When you are accepting our offer to present a paper, you must agree to meet the submission deadlines and attend the Q&A session for your paper.
We are delighted to let you know that if your paper is accepted you will get a free ticket for the conference. If you have already paid for a ticket, that money will be refunded to you.
- Deadline for abstract submission: Sunday 19 November 2023
- Notification of acceptance: Sunday 17 December 2023
- Submission of presentation deadline: Friday 05 April 2024
The organising committee is made up of Directors and members of the Register of Qualified Genealogists including Carol Bannister, John Boeren, David Jack, Joanne Kenyon, Catriona Haine, Linda Hammond, Sylvia Valentine.
We look forward to seeing you at the RQG conference at the Royal Armouries Leeds on Saturday 20 April 2024.
Chair, Register of Qualified Genealogists