Genealogist, Local Historian and Writer
I am family and local historian, writer and mentor specialising in the historic border counties of Northumberland, Durham, the Scottish Borders and Lothians. Founder of both Borders Ancestry research services and #AncestryHour a twitter based genealogy community Q&A and weekly chat.
I offer a comprehensive service which covers all aspects of historical research
- Family History – From simple record ‘lookups’, to extended family trees with full colour family history narratives.
- Local History – Communities, events, land, property, social, political and economic change adding historical context to your research.
- Palaeography – A specialist in the transcription and interpretation of old documents including Latin.
- Mentoring and Tutoring – To help you get the most from your own research whether it be getting you started or keeping your research on track. Sessions are delivered on a one- to-one basis online, or in small groups in our own well equipped onsite research room.
- Talks – Available for talks, presentations or to host workshops on a wide range of topics aimed at beginners to more advanced levels of experience.
- DNA – The introduction of DNA has opened up the world of family history to far greater audience than ever before. I can cover everything from simple queries, advice regarding testing options, getting to grips with your results, and help you with cousin matching
- Writing – From articles for publication on a wide range of historical topics to turning your own research into a book to be enjoyed by your family the generations to come.
- Ancestral Travel – Assist with planning and preparation to maximise the purpose and enjoyment of your trip covering England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland to help you achieve your research goals and make your ancestral visit an amazing experience.
Every family has a story to tell and everyone’s journey into their ancestral past is unique! For this reason all research undertaken is bespoke and tailored to the requirement of each individual client.
- Ancestral tourism
- Early Modern Period
- Families of Northumberland Durham the Scottish Borders and Lothians
- Local History
- Workshops and Mentoring
- Writing for publication
Founder and Owner at Borders Ancestry
A fourth generation genealogist with in excess of 30 years of research experience. I am also the custodian of an extensive private archive containing the research into many ‘Borders’ families begun by my Great Grandfather’s brother a solicitor and Deputy Steward to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in Durham, which has passed through the generations and is continued by myself today. In 2012 my opportunity came to turn my passion into a business helping others discover their ancestral ties to the Borderlands. In January 2013 ‘Borders Ancestry’ was born and since then I have successfully helped many clients with their ancestral research.
2015 - 2019
MLitt with Distinction in Family and Local History at University of Dundee
Winner of Paul Duller Prize 2019.